Thursday, September 8, 2022

The Key to Retirement

 

Why do people want to retire?

Usually it's because their job or occupation isn't compelling enough to continue to work at, or they are physically unable to keep up with the demands of your profession. Often it's a desire for more discretionary time for family, travel, etc.

The danger is when retirement (at whatever age) becomes all self-focused: "It's about my time and I can do what I want when I want. I earned a break. I deserve it. I just want to have fun." After a while, that lifestyle becomes kind of empty.

The happiest retirees I know are the ones who are engaged in some type of service to other people - through church, community, one-on-one, and so on. They find meaning, purpose and fulfillment by giving of their time and energy.

That principle is true for everyone, whether you are retired or not. 

No comments: