Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Happy 35 Years to the Next Generation


September 28, 2022, marks 35 years since Encounter at Farpoint, the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation premiered. Hard to believe it's been that long! I remember vividly going to Anne Foley's house, the mother of a good friend from King College, as we were without access to a good TV on campus. There was so much anticipation of this new Star Trek series. It had been decades since there had been any new Star Trek on TV and we were really hoping for a home run of a new series.

I remember being... is "whelmed" a word? I certainly wasn't overwhelmed, and I wasn't underwhelmed, exactly. It was good and showed potential. But it wasn't great. I high high hopes and the next few weeks - really much of the season - was a little underwhelming. There were some bright spots, to be sure, and a lot of potential, but most of it wouldn't be realized until the third season when The Next Generation really began to hit its stride.

Nevertheless, I am happy to remember that premiere and the excitement of a new Star Trek series. And I'm especially happy to enjoy the new series out now. All are different, but all are fun and it's great to see Star Trek in active production again.

No comments: