Sunday, September 4, 2022

Non-scrolling Recipe: Buttermilk Pancakes

I've always liked pancakes primarily because of the add-ins. I like blueberry or bananas or chocolate chips in my pancakes - heck, why not all three! 

But last year I came across a great recipe for pancakes that are good with no add-ins - and at least as good as anything you can get at iHop (which have some pretty good ones, too). This recipe was shared with me by a friend, Gina Ausmus, who made these for a cross country breakfast run at her house last summer. The recipe makes a lot, so we typically cut it in half (unless you're making for a large group, like a bunch of cross country runners!) 

We don't usually have buttermilk on hand, but I try to always have some powdered buttermilk mix which works great as a substitute. The recipe isn't that complex, but it turns out some amazing pancakes that are tons better than any of the box mixes. These have become a family favorite. You can add any add-ins that you want, but they're great just as they are.

Here's the original and my adapted 1/2 recipe.

Full recipe:
2 1/2 C Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
4 tsp Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar 
Mix together, add: 
1 qt. Buttermilk (4 Cups)
3 Eggs
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
    makes 20 medium cakes


Half recipe:
1 1/4 C Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Sugar
Mix together, add: 
1/2 qt. Buttermilk (2 cups)
1 1/5 Eggs (hard to do! - I just use 2 small ones)
2 Tbsp Butter, melted
    makes 10 medium cakes

No comments: