Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Rob's Review: Quantum Leap (2022)


I’ve been looking forward to watching the new Quantum Leap series on NBC with a lot of hopefulness but also a lot of trepidation. I am an avid fan of the original, awesome Quantum Leap with the impeccably cast Scott Bakula and the wonderfully awesome Dean Stockwell. (I actually much prefer Bakula in this role to his role as Jonathan Archer in Enterprise.) Both were so amazingly perfect in their roles that it is hard to imagine that anyone could compare.

And it will be a comparison. You can’t step into their shoes without the inevitable comparisons. Fortunately the new series didn’t try to reboot the original but went with a continuation.

I have avoided spoilers and didn’t even watch trailers for the new show so that I could view the pilot without a lot of preconceptions. I was finally able to watch it last night and I have to say, I’m favorably impressed so far. They do a good job of honoring the source material but projecting it into the current day - thirty years after the original. The acting is good and I enjoy the dual plotlines with one following Ben (the new leaper) into the past while the other follows what is going on in Project Quantum Leap in the present.

I know Bakula has decided not to participate in this incarnation of the show... yet. But I hope he will change his mind in the future (or in the past, as the case may be.) Maybe we'll get more callbacks to the original, as well. Lots of promise in the pilot for that.

I’m still nervous because it’s a network show and I am concerned about network interference behind the scenes. But what has come across so far is pretty good and I’m excited to watch the upcoming season. I’m actually glad it’s a network show because that means more episodes a season than a streaming one.

If you haven’t watched it yet, I’d recommend giving it a shot.

My grade (so far): A

No comments: