Sunday, September 25, 2022

Rob's Recommendations: Casey's New Orleans Style Kettle Potato Chips


My preferred way of eating potato chips is plain ripple chips (Aldi has great ones) dipped in Top The Tater dip (see my earlier blog post on this awesome treat). But every once in a while I enjoy changing it up with some flavored chips.

When I won some free potato chips on the Casey's app, I thought I would grab some flavored chips and figured I'd probably choose the salt and vinegar ones or perhaps barbecue. But then I came across a flavor I didn't recognize: New Orleans Style. The packaging described it as "a tangy combination of salt and vinegar, sweet smoky BBQ, and a hint of spice." I'm always up for a new flavor combo, so I grabbed a pack.

Wow. These are great chips. They have the tangy-ness of salt and vinegar with the barbecue kind of tones down the aftertaste. I never would have thought to combine those flavors, but it really works. I wish some other big brand names made this flavor as I'd buy it all the time and a larger size might be a little cheaper. A little googling shows that Zapps chips have a Voodoo flavor with a similar combination with a jalapeƱo kick, but I can't speak to how similar they might be. My guess is that Casey's copied the flavor or was at least inspired by it.

If you have a Casey's near you and are looking for a fun snack, give them a shot. 

My grade: A

No comments: