Monday, September 5, 2022

It Can Be More Than Just a Job


I listened to a fascinating episode of the At the Table with Patrick Lencioni podcast this morning titled "Vocation Over Vacation" (Episode 142 if you want to look it up). They made the point that your vocation is at it's core about helping others, rather than simply doing a "job". (Their discussion was much more nuanced than my summary sentence here.)

Sometimes it's necessary to have just a "job" - something that just pays the bills. But it's possible to find meaning and purpose within most any job, as well. 

What you are employed to do right now may not be your "calling" or become your lifelong vocation, but it can become a way to serve in the meantime. That's the way my job at Walmart was. I started working there just to pay the bills (ie. it was just a job), but I ended up meeting wonderful people and learning so much and helping so many. It wasn't my long-term vocation, but it was my vocation for a time. And it was valuable and helpful in shaping me into the person I am today.

 Something appropriate to ponder on Labor Day.


No comments: