Saturday, September 17, 2022

Retro-TV Review: Alias

I was talking with a friend the other day who is watching through the TV series Alias for the first time. This series was created by J.J. Abrams back in the early 2000s and ran for five seasons on ABC. Filled with improbable but highly entertaining adventures, this series featured Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow. She starts the series as a college student, who is really an undercover secret agent for an agency called SD-6. 

I won't spoil anything here, but it starts off as a kind of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (without the super powers) meets Mission: Impossible. But nothing is as it seems. Layers upon layers of fun, with a terrific supporting cast, including Bradley Cooper, who goes on to become a star in his own right.

Unfortunately, the series begins to flounder in later seasons due to a lack of direction (something Abrams will continue to struggle with later in his career), but it never ceases to be entertaining, and it's well worth your time if you haven't seen it before. I think it's currently streaming on Netflix. (I think I may have to rewatch it, myself!)

My Grade: A

No comments: