Saturday, July 9, 2022

Prayer - It's Not Just for Pastors


I was asked if I would say a prayer of blessing at a special event today that I hadn't heard about in advance but was a great fundraiser, and so I was happy to do so. As a pastor, this is a common occurrence - to be called on to pray at an event or at a large gathering before a meal or something like that. I'm always happy to oblige, but I think it's interesting that people always ask pastors to pray instead of doing it themselves.

As best as I can figure, it's because...

  • they don't feel comfortable speaking in public, which I understand.
  • they don't feel comfortable praying in front of others. It's a shame that we don't teach people to begin to do this when they are younger. 
  • they're not a believer, but they feel like it's a good thing to do anyway (there's so much to explore there); 
  • or they think being a pastor gives you some kind of special connection to God or we know the exact right words to say or something. Like there's a whole special class in Seminary about the secrets of public prayer and how to use words that really impress people! There's not, but that would be interesting.

What I am always willing to jump in and lead in prayer, I sometimes wonder if I am doing a disservice by perpetuating the stereotype that the prayer of a pastor is somehow better or more effective than that of any believer. Maybe it's an artifact of Roman Catholic teaching that you need a priest to mediate between you and God or something.

When I pray I don't use extra-flowery terms or phrases anything ("Our most gracious and benevolent Heavenly Father, we do beseech you by Thine infinite mercies...") I just pray like I'm talking to another person (which I am). 

I wonder if people hear me pray real casually and end up going, "Gee, I could have done that!" Which would be a good thing, after all!

No comments: