Monday, July 4, 2022

Freedom to Serve


Happy Independence Day!

As a country we are spending the day celebrating our freedom. Yesterday in church we were treated to a message by Andy Stanley called The Other Side of Freedom (you can watch it here.) In it he reminds us that freedom is not just "freedom from" but "freedom to". To what? Here's how Paul puts it: 

Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 

We are free to love others by serving.

That's very different from the kind of me-centered idea of freedom we usually have. 

Imagine if everyone were to approach freedom from that point of view. Not, "I'm free to do what I want to do," but "I'm free to do what I ought to do."


No comments: