Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Not So Simple


 How long do you keep stuff that you probably will never use again, but you don't want to throw it away "just in case" you need it in the future? Eventually you have to throw some stuff away just because you run out of room (unless you become a hoarder, but that's a whole other level). 

Is the stuff you keep sentimental? You think you might want to go back and revisit it again in the future. Or is it utilitarian? You keep it because it might be useful in the future.

Or is it an issue of sunk costs? "I paid for it, I hate to throw it away." Do you have piles of stuff that you don't want or need anymore, but you think, "Maybe I could sell it someday and get some of my money back that I invested in it?"

Or are you just too lazy to declutter?

At what point do the benefits of simplicity outweigh whatever your reason is for keeping it?

No comments: