Thursday, July 28, 2022

Pineapple on Pizza?


I grew up on pizza. We would go out to (the late, lamented) Demetrio's Pizzaria just about every Sunday after church and we'd always order the same thing: a large bacon and pepperoni pizza and a small cheese (for my sister who was kind of a picky eater as a kid). 

I've never been a big fan of any toppings other than meat on pizza, although I have recently begun to tolerate some black olives, peppers, etc. Not mushrooms, though. And certainly never pineapple. Who ever heard of pineapple on pizza? It's become a recurring joke on various TV shows where the nerdy person will want pizza with pineapple but the hip, cool people will always agree: pineapple doesn't belong on pizza. And I always agreed with them. 

Until recently. 

The local pizza restaurant in our town, Pizza Pub, used to have a buffet on Wednesday nights (pre-COVID). It was there that I sampled a number of different types of pizza. Their chicken alfredo pizza is excellent, and I've even learned to enjoy the Pub Special (pretty much every topping on the pizza) in small doses. 

But then I tried their Hawaiian pizza. Pineapple and Canadian Bacon on a pizza seems like an unlikely combination. I'm sure you could Google who first invented it and where (My guess is that neither Hawaii nor Canada had a hand in it, but that's just a hunch.) I tried it, not really realizing what it was, as Pizza Pub puts the cheese on last, often disguising the pizza toppings.

I have to say, it was amazing. More than that - it was pretty phenomenal and has become my go-to favorite at the Pub. Pizza Pub has a spicy pizza sauce anyway, and the sweetness of the pineapple really counterbalances it nicely. Plus they have a decent amount of pineapple, but they don't go overboard.

I'm certainly not saying all Hawaiian pizza is good. I tried a slice once at Pizza Hut. Uh, no. Just, no. It was gross. And I can't speak for any other pizza place. I think I did try a Brew Pub Lozza Mozza frozen Hawaiian pizza and it wasn't bad, but probably wouldn't be my first choice. 

My point is, if you're around Pine City and visit Pizza Pub, I'd suggest giving it a shot. Their Hawaiian pizza might just change your mind.

No comments: