Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Rob's Recommendations: Sports Night


My son, Jordan, and I have been rewatching classic TV comedies over the last few years and we just finished the underappreciated Aaron Sorkin show Sports Night. I remember watching it's run from 1998-2000 and I enjoyed it greatly. It's was overshadowed in the public consciousness by it's brilliant successor, The West Wing, but Sports Night garnered three Emmy Awards and it a wonderful companion piece. It's fun to see how many actors in Sports Night later cropped up on The West Wing. 

It ran for 45 episodes over two seasons. I will say that in the first few episodes of the first season there is an annoying and distracting laugh track that fortunately goes away, so hang in there.

I'm not going to do a detailed review here - I'm sure there are plenty of places online you can get more info - but if you're looking for an enjoyable funny "dramedy", and you enjoy Aaron Sorkin's trademark banter and writing, you should check this out. It's streaming on Roku, or you can borrow my DVDs.

No comments: