Thursday, June 23, 2022

Cutting Down Pizza


I consider myself to be a bit of a pizza afficianado. I mean, you can't spend thirty-five years in youth ministry and not know a little about pizza. 

As I've gotten older, I've gotten a little more picky about pizza. It seems it's hard to find a good pizza anymore. So many are just mediocre

For example, when it comes to frozen pizzas, there are some that are edible, but I have yet to find a frozen pizza that I really enjoy (other than some deep dish restaurant pizzas that are occasionally available, but not widely marketed). Again, some are okay, but they hardly satisfy your craving for good pizza. 

As far as the chain restaurants go, some are okay and even pretty good. I enjoy Little Caesar's pan pizza quite a bit, and Papa John's is decent, and I enjoy Sbarro, and really like the pizza at Rocky Rococo, as well. Pizza Ranch is decent, but pricey. However none of these are anywhere near me. 

Casey's, which it turns out it the country's fifth largest pizza chain, has really good pizza most of the time, and fortunately we have one in Pine City now. We also have a Pizza Hut but either their quality has declined or I've just gotten burned out on their pizza over the years. It's not bad, but not a top choice. Don't even get me started on Domino's. 

I enjoy some of the local pizza places, as well. We have a pretty good one in Pine City, Pizza Pub, but they are a little pricier. I enjoy visiting other towns an finding good local joints there, too. (I could be like the Guy Fieri of pizza places and go town to town finding the best one!) One of my favorite is about an hour away, Donatelli Bros. in White Bear Lake (which, coincidentally enough, was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.) Their Heartstopper pizza is to die for (not literally... probably). And of course I can't help but mention the late, lamented Demetrio's Pizza House in Bradenton. I don't know if I'll ever find a pizza I enjoy more (but certainly not for a lack of trying).

But here's my big question for the day: when did cutting pizza into little squares become a thing? It seems like a lot of local places do this. (I'm looking at you, Pizza Pub.) It's sometimes called a party cut and I guess some people like it, but frankly, I'm not a fan.

So what's your vote: the traditional and beloved pie cut, or the stupid square cut?

No comments: