Saturday, March 5, 2022

What Do You Expect?

I'm planning to go see the new Batman movie (creatively titled The Batman) tomorrow with my sons, Jordan and Jonah. I'm not sure we really needed another Batman movie so soon, but it should be interesting to see the latest interpretation. 

I asked several of my classes at school on Thursday to see who was planning on seeing the movie this weekend and was somewhat shocked by the general lack of enthusiasm for this release. A few were looking forward to the movie, but it was a fairly moderate response overall. From what I've seen of the early box office returns the movie is doing well, so my polling sample must have been atypical. Still, I would hate to be a movie producer right now trying to come up with properties that create a buzz. 

My boys and I are going in with moderate expectations. We anticipate it being enjoyable, but how much new ground will be trod by this incarnation is unknown. I'll no doubt update via this blog in the coming days. 

It got me to thinking about the whole issue of expectations. Is it better to keep expectations low or moderate and be pleasantly surprised? Is it because we have been disappointed in the past? Or is it better to approach things in life with a more optimistic, hopeful outlook? Something to think about.

If nothing else, I expect we will enjoy an afternoon out together with some good movie theater popcorn.

No comments: