Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Don't Travel Alone

We started a new series last Sunday (just a short 2-parter) called Road Trip and I talked about some rules for the road (riffing off a message Andy Stanley did a while back). 

One of the rules we talked about is this: Don't travel alone. You were made for community, but too often because of pain in our lives or just our personalities we tend to isolate ourselves from others. We tell ourselves, "I don't really need anyone else. I'm okay on my own."

But God created us for community. Once in a while I'll hear someone say something like, "I can be a Christian without going to church." Well, of course you can. But why would you want to? And while you may be able to "be" a "Christian", I would suggest that it is much more difficult to be a disciple, which is what we are all called to be. When you surrender your life to God and accept the forgiveness made possible by Jesus' death and resurrection, Scripture says you become a child of God - you are "adopted" in the family of God. You were never meant to do life alone.

I know people sometimes struggle to find a community of believers that is a good "fit" for them. But it's worth it to keep trying. Your traveling companions on the road of life really do determine the direction and quality of the trip (ie. of your life!) 

Who are the people that you are doing life with? Who could you invite to join you on your trip?

If you'd like to hear Sunday's complete message, check out our podcast: anchor.fm/rob-spahr or on Spotify, Apple/iTunes, and Google Podcasts.

No comments: