Monday, March 14, 2022

The Power of a Streak

Streaks are great motivators. (Not "streaking"... that's a whole different thing.) 

I have many Snapchat streaks going with students. My top was with T.J. Rank before he went to boot camp at 663 days. I have others that are approaching that now. Some of my students at school have Snapstreaks of over 1000 days. (According to one web site, Snapchat streak was introduced in 2015, and apparently, the longest Snapchat Streak record as of June 27, 2021, was 1682.

When a streak starts to get long (over 100 days maybe?), you'll go to great lengths to keep it going. Many students will have their parents keep up their Snapstreaks if they are away at camp, or even grounded from their phone. A glitch caused me to lose a Snapstreak with one student and his girlfriend contacted Snapchat to get it reinstated!

At one point I had a streak going of hitting my goal of 10,000 steps a day that was over two years long. When I broke it, it was really difficult to get back on track, because I figured, "Well, it's only x amount of days now." It was much more motivating when it was hundreds of days in a row.

Which made me wonder: When does a habit stop being a habit? When you miss one day? Two days? A week? More?
 
Some habits we want or need to break. But when you develop a pattern that is healthy and helpful, don't let an interruption stop you from maintaining that pattern.

No comments: