Sunday, December 25, 2022

Christmas Traditions


I hope everyone had a great Christmas. We actually celebrated Christmas at our home this year instead of heading directly to Ripon to visit with Rosalie's family. (We'll be doing that tomorrow, instead.)

Other than Christmas Eve service at church, our family Christmas traditions revolve primarily around food. We had our traditional Christmas meal on Christmas Eve, which is typical for us as we're usually traveling on Christmas day. This year our Christmas day meal was chili during the Packer game, during which we were treated to a Packers victory, which was a nice Christmas present for us. This morning we had monkey bread for breakfast, which is something my mom used to make on Christmas when I was growing up. This is our 27th year of this tradition and it shows no signs of being broken anytime soon. 

Fortunately, I was able to get a run in this morning, which is something I try to enjoy most Sundays. The weather cooperated today as it was only -7 with no wind instead of the -34 degree windchills of the past few days. I cranked the Christmas music (I have one with the most upbeat songs in a running playlist) and took off. This is probably the last day I'll do that for the next 11 months because, as much as I love Christmas music, by the day after Christmas I'm pretty much done with it - other than possibly sneaking one into the worship set this next Sunday. I usually do Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee, which seems Christmasy to me because it was used so heavily in the best Christmas movie ever. If you don't know which one I'm talking about, how are we even friends? 

Christmas won't be on a Sunday again until 2033. I don't know why you would need to know that, but it might give you something interesting to talk about at the dinner table. 

No comments: