Friday, August 19, 2022

Mad Food Science Creations


At the beginning of last month I blogged about Nestle's Coffee-Mate Creme Brulee flavored creamer and my continuing frustration at finding my favorite flavor in stock anywhere. I contacted Nestle and they kindly gave me some coupons while telling me that it was not in stock. Here's exactly what they said: 

With tightening labor market conditions and increased demand we are seeing ingredients, packaging and transportation shortages which are impacting our ability to keep up with demand. We are working hard to improve our supply while we work to keep our people safe.

Which, while nice, is kind of hard to believe. Is everything a supply-chain issue now, or is that just a handy scapegoat to blame for pretty much everything? And they talk about working "to keep our people safe." I mean, I don't want them putting their people in danger getting Creme Brulee creamer into stores or anything! It seems like the rest of the flavors are in stock, so there must be something about Creme Brulee that is especially dangerous to manufacture or transport.

Nevertheless, I have been on a quest to recreate the Creme Brulee flavor in the meantime. I've searched all over the internet for some type of recipe, but the ones I've tried have resulted in a watery, sub-optimal product. So I have begun doing my own experimentation, using the Coffee-Mate Original as the base. I've come close by adding brown sugar and vanilla, but it wasn't quite there. Now I've procured a Creme Brulee flavoring that, combined with my own concoction, is getting much closer. I have only a few ounces of the genuine CM Creme Brulee flavor to compare it with. 

I'll keep you apprised of my work in this important area of food flavor research as I am sure you are anxiously awaiting the result. In the meantime, if you would happen to see any of the real Creme Brulee flavor at a grocery store, I'd love a heads-up. Thanks!

No comments: