Thursday, August 4, 2022

A Verse for Life

Do you have a life verse? A life verse is a verse from the Bible that speaks to you in a very special way. It seems as if it were put in God's Word just for you. People used to talk about having a life verse and I used to think it was kind of just like having a favorite Bible verse. I decided that my life verse was going to be Romans 8:38-39

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

That served me well for many years, and is still one of my favorite promises from Scripture. But a few years ago I came across another verse that I think fits me better. It's Acts 20:24

The phrase in the verse that initially caught my attention was this "My only aim is to finish the race." I thought that would be good to have on a t-shirt that I could wear when I'm out running a 5K or something. Like, "I don't care if I win anything, I just want to finish!"

While that's still applicable, it's the rest of the verse that really resonated with me. This is the Apostle Paul speaking here to the Ephesians and he says:

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

That's what I want. I want to get to the end of my life and have people (and God) say, "He completed the task of testifying to the good news."

That would be what I would consider to be tattoo-worthy. If I were going to get a tattoo. Which I'm not. Probably. (Maybe just the reference? Probably not. But you never know.)

But at least a t-shirt would be nice.

No comments: