Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Running, Music, and Worship


When I go running, I almost always am listening to something. Usually I listen to one of the podcasts I subscribe to, like The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe, Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast, Hollywood & Levine, Inglorious Treksperts, Akimbo with Seth Godin, or North Point Community Church, to name a few.

But every once in a while I'll crank up some music to run with. Occasionally I'll put in a soundtrack to a great movie or some 80s music. But usually it's some upbeat worship music. That's also my go-to on Sunday mornings, which gives me a chance to worship and connect with God before church on my sunrise run.

There are some days when I'm kind of tired, or just not feeling the run, or I'm not sure if I'll make it without just walking. But then I'll start listening to the music (verses a podcast) and it's like I gain extra energy and endurance. I'll run faster and feel better, even if the run overall is still a challenge. Maybe it's just the beat, but there is just something about music that energizes you. 

I think that's the same kind of deal for people when it comes to their life and authentic worship. I say authentic because it's possible to go through the motions but never really connect with God, but when you do, there is something amazing that happens. You can be struggling during the week with a lot of challenges, and it may seem like you're stumbling along in your walk with God instead of running the race. But then you gather with brothers and sisters in Christ and worship and it's like you get this boost to help you keep going. It's not just the music (although that's helpful, especially when it's good), but there's something deeper going on at the soul level.

If you're struggling with life, or depression, or feeling disconnected from God or others, make sure you are engaged in consistent worship with your church family. I'm not guaranteeing that will change everything, but it might just give you the boost you need to keep on going!

No comments: