Friday, August 26, 2022

Tremendous Teachers and Tedious Topics


A friend of mine is taking a college course for a subject that is not difficult, but is extremely tedious a boring. Which I think is worse, frankly. I'd rather have a difficult class that causes me to work hard, because then at least I'm engaged, instead of a class where it is a challenge to stay focused. 

I'm thankful for all of those teachers who were able to engage me as a student when the material was less than compelling. I never would have made it through AP Calculus in high school without Ms. Paige Barker. I remember her explaining vectors to us by referencing the just introduced moonwalk of Michael Jackson. I think of Mrs. Judy Kreiling who made American History come alive. And, of course, Dr. Gary Burge, who took an already interesting subject for me (New Testament) and made it so compelling that I immediately switched my major from English to Bible & Religion my freshman year of college.

There are tons more that I won't name right now, but I am so thankful for those teachers who are passionate about their fields and are able to motivate students to learn to love (or at least learn) the subjects they are teaching.

No comments: