Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Birthday Wishes

It's my birthday today. I always enjoy hearing from my friends on social media who are wishing me a happy birthday. What's interesting is when companies try to get in on the action. "Happy birthday! We know when you were born so we are going to wish you a happy birthday so you have a better view of us. After all, this is an automated message. It's not like there's a person behind each of these wishes. But we thought this was good marketing or brand management or something." (I'm looking at you Snapchat, Teledoc, etc.) 

Mountain Dew even sent me an email saying that I deserved a Dew, and then they sent me a link to follow so I could go buy one (implication: you deserve a Dew, but we're not going to give you one for free you cheapskate). Not that I'm cynical or anything.

Of course, I don't mind if there's actually something beyond just the wishes. Many offer birthday treats. I've gotten freebies from Casey's (cookie or donut), Subway (cookie), Culvers (scoop of custard with topping), Can Can Wonderland (free admission and treat), GTI Cinema (free movie, day of birthday only), Kohl's ($5 off coupon), DQ (BYGO Blizzard - so, kinda free), McDonalds (bakery treat) and Red Robin (burger). (Come to think of it, I wonder if I'm on too many mailing lists. If so, none of these guys are getting cut!)

I'm sure I won't be able to use most of the offers, but I'll take advantage of a few. So the moral is, if you're a company and can offer a freebie, then you are more than welcome to send me a birthday greeting. Otherwise, I'll probably be cynical about it.

If you're a friend, no treat is necessary. (But I'll probably not say no if you offer!)

No comments: