Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Rob's Recommendations: Three Amigos

One of my all-time favorite comedies is actually one I didn't care for that much when I first saw it in the theater back in college. I don't know if I was in a bad mood or just had different expectations, but when I first saw Three Amigos I was a bit underwhelmed. 

And then my friends and I began talking about it in the days and weeks that followed. Certain phrases became catchphrases ("Would you say I had a plethora?" "You shot the invisible swordsman!") and a number of the scenes were discussed and even reenacted in the cafeteria. By the time I saw it again on video, it had somehow become a classic. I even had a cassette tape of the soundtrack with songs by Randy Newman.

I've seen it dozens of times since and I never tire. A few years ago on my birthday I had some of my high school students over and we watched it again. I don't know if they enjoyed it quite as much as I did, but I am still entranced by the comic genius that is Steve Martin. 

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it highly. My grade: A+

No comments: