Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Rob's Recommendations: Terminator 2


It was the summer of 1991. I was attending Bethel Seminary but spending my second summer up at Lake Lundgren Bible Camp in Pembine, Wisconsin, on Summer Staff Team as a camp counselor. We were very busy throughout the week, but after the campers left on Saturday morning we had free time until Sunday afternoon. Almost a whole 24 hours!

Sometimes we would hang out at camp or go to someone's home who lived nearby, but this one particular Saturday I decided to enjoy a day away alone. I drove down to Green Bay (about an hour and a half away) and did some shopping and wandering around. I decided to go see a movie. I didn't really know what was out, having been relatively cut off from news and information during the summer. 

I did see that a new movie, Terminator 2, had come out. It was a new release and I wasn't familiar with it at all. In fact, I don't think that I had seen the first Terminator, although I was familiar with the plot. For example I knew that Arnold played the bad guy who was from the future trying to kill Sarah Connor to prevent her from having a son, John, who would lead a rebellion against Skynet and the machines that had caused a nuclear apocalypse. 

I'm not normally someone who enjoys going to movies alone, but I was enjoying the time away and wanted to see a movie on my day off. So I bought the ticket and found a seat. 

The reason I remember so many details was that it was one of those kind of defining moments in my life as far as movies go. The last one had been the first time I saw Star Wars. I remember watching the Star Destroyer and feeling the rumble in the theater and I knew that movies would never be the same after that. This was the same kind of thing, especially when the big fakeout reveal happened (spoilers ahead - highlight to reveal) when Arnold was revealed to be the good guy! A reprogrammed terminator who was sent back to save John Connor!

I'm sure you've seen the movie, but if not I would highly recommend it. In fact, it has my highest recommendation as it is my favorite action movie of all time. Time travel. Arnold. Great story. Great acting. A killer soundtrack (I immediately went an bought a copy of the soundtrack on cassette to listen to on the way back to camp!) What's not to love?

There's an extended special edition that is very enjoyable, as well, but the theatrical version remains my all-time favorite.

My grade: A+

No comments: