Sunday, November 27, 2022

Return to Running


I had to take a few weeks off of running earlier this month because I was sick. My whole household came down with some form of influenza or something. It made you feel really rundown and tired and gave us a nagging cough for a couple of weeks.

I finally was feeling better and got back to running last week, determined to take it slow and ease back into my routine, which is usually a 5k a day, minimum. The first day went well and I was feeling pretty good about the fact that I hadn't seemed to have lost much stamina. I came home, showered, sat down to do something.

And then I went to stand up. Arggh. My legs were so sore! I guess after a three week break it will take a bit to get my muscles back to running form, at least at my age.

I did lose some endurance, as well. I was out running a different day this week and struggling a little to maintain my pace, but I was glad for the opportunity to push myself physically. Running is a challenge at times, but there's something about doing hard work that is satisfying. So much of our world is about ease and comfort, it's good to be able to do something that stretches you physically. Plus there are a lot of mental and even spiritual benefits to running. 

Running isn't an option for everyone, but there should be something you can do physically to get your heart rate up. Even walking is really good exercise. I know that at least for me it's really easy to fall into the routine of not doing anything if I'm not intentional about it. 

No comments: