Saturday, November 19, 2022

Rob's Recommendations: Pearls Before Swine


I was going to share a funny Pearls Before Swine comic with a student yesterday when he said, "Pearls Before Swine? What's that?"

What?! You haven't heard of Pearls Before Swine?! That's one of the problems with newspapers not being as popular as they used to be - people can't discover wonderful content on the comics page like Pearls. (Okay, other than Pearls and Dilbert, there's not a ton of wonderful content anymore, to be honest.) Given that this was a high school student, he may never have actually read a comics page before. Sigh. 

Anyway, I did blog about Pearls Before Swine before, but I realized it has been 14 years since my last post about it, so perhaps you haven't gone back to read up on my entire life since 2008. Pearls Before Swine is maybe my all-time favorite comic strip. Here's a description from Wikipedia:

Pearls Before Swine (also known as Pearls) is an American comic strip written and illustrated by Stephan Pastis. The series began on December 31, 2001. It chronicles the daily lives of an ensemble cast of suburban anthropomorphic animals: Pig, Rat, Zebra, Goat, and a fraternity of crocodiles, as well as a number of supporting characters, one of whom is Pastis himself. Each character represents an aspect of Pastis's personality and worldview. The daily and Sunday comic strip is distributed by Andrews McMeel Syndication (by United Feature Syndicate until 2011).

The strip's style is notable for its black comedy, simplistic artwork, self-deprecating fourth wall meta-humor, social commentary, mockery of itself or other comic strips, and occasional elaborate stories leading to a pun.

Here are a couple more of my favorites strips over the years. This will give you a sense of the humor:





And finally, one of my favorites, for obvious reasons:

There are a number of Pearls collections available. I have a few that I am happy to lend you if you live near me, otherwise you can check them out from the library, or better yet, buy them and read them! Or give them to someone as a gift (hint, hint), as long as they have a twisted sense of humor. You can also read the daily strip at HERE or subscribe on that site to daily emails or Facebook posts.  

Go check it out. My rating: A+

No comments: