Monday, May 23, 2022

The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning


I'm headed down to the Cities tonight with Rosalie to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition. I'm so excited to be seeing this movie again in theaters! It first came out in 1979 and I loved watching it on the big screen - really the best way to enjoy this movie. It's now been remastered since then with the visual effects updated. Plus, it's the definitive Director's Edition which was completed by Robert Wise in 2001. This is the first time this version has been shown on the big screen as far as I am aware, certainly the first time the remastered version has been.

It's a different experience for today's generation who can watch the movie whenever. I remember when it first came out watching it in the theater multiple times. Then a year or so later I saw that they were screening it at what was then Manatee Junior College. I talked my dad into going with me and was excited to see it again, and it was free! When we got there it was showing in a mini-auditorium/classroom and it was on a TV hooked up to a laser disk! Not exactly the big screen experience we were expecting.

Back when I was in seminary in 1991 they screened all of the movies together in a one-day movie marathon for the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek. The marathon was titled "Sit Long and Prosper". There were only five movies at the time and I went with a good friend and spent the day watching Star Trek. That's probably the last time I've seen The Motion Picture on the big screen, and that was the original theatrical release.

This current (and probably final) version can be streamed in high definition 4K on Paramount+ (if your internet has the bandwidth to support it) and it will be released on 4K Blu-Ray later this year (it's already on my Christmas list!)

No comments: