Sunday, May 8, 2022

A Mother's Day Dilemma


Mother's Day is a difficult holiday for me, but probably not for the reasons you think. The problem is this: I had a wonderful mom. (Yeah, I know, poor me, right. But stick with me.) I had a wonderful mom and I'm sure she wasn't perfect... but I can't really identify anything I would have changed about her. She was everything you could ever want in a mom - loving, caring, patient, and on an on. I could use a thesaurus and still not have enough positive adjectives to describe her.

That's part one of my issue.

Part two is that I am married to another wonderful mom. Again, probably not perfect, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything about her that I would change. In fact, she is a lot like my mom in her loving mom-like characteristics toward our kids (and me when I act like a kid). I kind of hit the jackpot twice when it comes to moms in my life.  

And that's the problem - how to express gratitude appropriate to that level of awesomeness. 

My mom is not with us anymore, but my wife is and it's always hard to think of what to say or give. Flowers and a card are kind of cliche, although nice. A gift really isn't sufficient (although I am getting her one!) And words also fall short. How do you sum up that level of gratitude? 

I guess a blog post will have to do this year (plus the gift, plus some of her favorite donuts from Kwik Trip!) So Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful wife, Rosalie. Maybe next year I'll be able to come up with something that will be more effective in beginning to encompass my love and gratitude.

No comments: