Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Good Morning or Good Afternoon?

My friend Greg Speck says that there are two types of people in the world: The ones who wake up first thing in the morning and say, "Good morning, Lord!" and the ones who wake up and say, "Good Lord, morning!"

I was subbing at school today and had a first hour study hall. It was very, very quiet (actually, quieter than the media center usually is!) It was mostly seniors with six days left in the school year. Some students were catching up on some work, others rested, and most were on their phones. It was actually a very peaceful way to begin the school day. I think a quiet first hour helps these students wake up a little more and prepare for the rest of the school day.

It's very different from having a study hall at the end of the day. Those tend to be much louder (especially the younger grades). Kids are ready to be done after being cooped up in school all day. They have a lot of energy and are just waiting to release it.

My energy patterns tend to run the other direction - as do most adults I know. For me right now I tend to have more energy in the mornings, whereas by mid-afternoon my reserves are lowers. I wonder at what point that changes? Is it a function of age or of role? Would I be more energetic in the afternoons still today if I were a student rather than the teacher? 

The important thing is to be aware of my own patterns and tendencies and leverage them so that I am accomplishing the most during my most productive times.

No comments: