Friday, May 20, 2022

Bad Running Days and Walking With God


I started running about five years ago and learned to love the sport. But there are some days that running is definitely not fun. 

Actually, for the past few weeks it's been a real slog. Usually I will have average runs with a few really good days and the occasional bad day - often due to running in the afternoon (my preference is morning) or if it's really warm or humid out. I rarely struggle on cooler mornings, but even those have been a challenge recently.

I was thinking that our spiritual life is often like that. Sometimes I can sense God's presence and feel the Holy Spirit really powerfully when I'm having my devotional time or during worship, but other times... not so much. C.S. Lewis had an interesting observations about "dry spells" like that. The gist of it was that it is precisely during those periods that we grow the most when we persevere.

So in the case of running, I'm believing it's probably just a temporary thing, and it should improve eventually. In the meantime it's going to be a matter of just putting one foot in front of the other. When I can't run, I'll walk. 

Maybe the same thing applies to our spiritual life when we run into those dry spells.

No comments: