Thursday, May 5, 2022

The End of an Era

It's a bittersweet night tonight as I head over to attend the junior high pops concert. It's the last concert for retiring junior high band director Kevin Cahill who has served for 39 years. 

Neither of my two boys were in band, but I've been to the vast majority of the band concerts at Pine City High School since we moved here 15 years ago to support both our youth group students and the many other students I have come to know at school. 

Kevin has done a fabulous job working with the junior high students. But more than just his expertise, I have been very impressed with his character. He is a kind, patient (you have to be, working with junior high), humble man of incredible integrity. He is wonderful with the students. Imagine 39 years of listening to junior high band students trying to learn their instruments and then trying to learn to play together. We don't have saints in the Presbyterian Church, but he's Roman Catholic, so if there's a list of some sort where we can nominate people...!

It won't be the same without him. I'm sure the next person will do a fine job, but I'm glad I don't have to follow someone as beloved as him. It's been my pleasure to know him over the years and he will be deeply, deeply missed by both students and staff. 

Congratulations on 39 wonderful years. Enjoy your retirement and I hope to see you around town!

No comments: