Thursday, April 7, 2022

Powdered Sugar and Wheat Thins

When I was grocery shopping recently and I picked up a bag of powdered sugar that was on my list. Naturally I grabbed the cheaper, store-brand Great Value powdered sugar. And I started wondering, why would anyone pay more for the brand name if they had a choice? It's just powdered sugar, for goodness sake. (I'm not talking about some specialty organic keto sugar, just the plain stuff.) And yet some people do pay more for the brand name, apparently, as they still sell Domino and C&H "premium cane powdered sugar". Do people just not pay attention? Is there really a difference? Or brand name water. Really? Granted, the water bottles themselves may be higher quality, but it's just water.

Of course, there are some brand names that I will always buy because there is a difference. Heinz ketchup is a big one. Accept no substitutes!! Or brand name cola versus store brand generics. I'm sure you have some of your own.

But for the most part, the store brands are just as good - or at least good enough. And occasionally I'll run across store brands that I actually prefer to the name brands. I prefer the Aldi and the Walmart versions of wheat crackers versus the Wheat Thins brand.

What about you? Any brand names you'll always buy? Any store brands you prefer?

Sometimes we chose the brand names is because of the story we are telling ourselves about ourselves. Or we just buy into the story that the name brand wants us to believe.

No comments: