Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Food and the Foundations of Business

How long do you keep trying and being disappointed before you give up?

I used to love Wendy's. I thought they had the best hamburgers - really the best overall food. One summer on break from college, I went to Wendy's every day for lunch. Same meal: Single with cheese, just ketchup, fries and a Coke. I knew to the penny how much it cost. And it was good.

The last several times I've visited Wendy's I've been disappointed. It's been... okay. I've tried some of their specials, which turned out to be not so special. And the Wendy's I visited (by Northtown Mall - I'm calling you out by name!) has been dirty, slow, and the workers seem to really not want to be there. And yet I keep giving them a chance - trying a few different Wendy's. Same deal.

So how long do I keep giving them a try before just giving up. I know I'll always get a great burger at Culver's (one of the best around!) or a great chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A. Always. And the people there seem to really want to work there. It makes eating out an enjoyable experience. Sure, there's always the occasional hiccup during a particularly busy time, but it's easier to be forgiving when most of the time you're getting a great product and good (or great) service.

Maybe I'll try Wendy's again... someday. Sad to see an old friend fall on such hard times. (I'm looking at you, too, Burger King. You're next if you don't start shaping up.)

So the lesson for businesses (including churches) is what? Your customers will be loyal and forgiving - to a certain point. But if you keep disappointing them, they'll find a better alternative when one's available. Surprise and delight are great in businesses - but don't neglect the foundations of a good product and decent customer service.

No comments: