Sunday, April 24, 2022

At the Movies

I love movies. I love going to the movies, finding a great seat, eating popcorn, and being entertained by the spectacle. As a kid, it was always fun to go to a movie and be surprised by a really great movie. Sure, sometimes you were disappointed, but you never really knew until you saw the movie. 

You might hear people talk about the movie, but word-of-mouth isn't infallible. Sometimes when a particular movie received a lot or praise I would be skeptical and even resist seeing the movie because I was just sure I would be disappointed. And the more people would talk up a movie, the more skeptical I would become. After all, what movie could live up to all the hype? That's why it took several weeks after it was released before I went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Turns out positive word-of-mouth sometimes it true!)

Now we have Rotten Tomatoes and iMDB and all sorts of media coverage available on the internet (and even on this blog!) to help you sort and choose movies you are more likely to enjoy. And I appreciate that,... but it does mean that you miss out on the surprise, and there was something magical about that.

When was the last time a movie surprised and delighted you?

No comments: