Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Joy of Discovery


Do you remember the first time you discovered something wonderful?

I remember sitting in the theater in 1977, watching as the Rebel Blockade Runner was pursued by the Imperial Star Destroyer. The whole theater shook and the ship just went on and on and on. I had a moment where I knew that movies were never going to be the same again.

Something similar happened when I first Terminator 2, and a few years later with the Matrix. This was long before the internet and there wasn't a lot of pre-publicity about either (at least that I was aware), so I went into the theater without any expectations and was blown away by these movies.

I'm sure there are other examples beyond the movies. But I was thinking of this as a good friend of mine, upon my recommendation, is about to embark on his first Dresden Files novel, Storm Front. I am excited for him as he discovers this wonderful world that author Jim Butcher has created for the first time. 

Jim Butcher has become far and away my favorite fiction author. I love all of his work: His Codex Alera series was fantastic, and I am enjoyed his first Cinder Spires novel. (He even wrote a Spider-Man novel a number of years ago.) He creates wonderful characters and great plots. Plus, he is extremely funny. 

I'm typically not a huge fan of fantasy, generally preferring science fiction as my genre of choice. But Butcher's works are the exception. If you haven't yet sampled any of his work, you are in for a treat. All of his works build in sequence, and while you could probably jump into any novel, you'll enjoy them best in the order of release. They all have my highest recommendation. A+

No comments: