Monday, October 31, 2022

Rob's Recommendation: Poltergeist


I'm not a big fan of horror movies, especially slasher flicks. For one thing, I don't like blood and gore, and I also don't like the jump scares. 

One of the few exceptions is Steven Spielberg's wonderful 1982 movie, Poltergeist. If you haven't seen it (and, surprisingly enough, there are people out there who haven't), do yourself a favor and watch it. It's more spooky than scary, but it's a lot of fun. Plus, it has a great score by Jerry Goldsmith. It's actually kind of a family movie, in a weird sort of way. I remember even my mom enjoyed it, even though she wasn't a fan of horror movies, either.

I watched it again a few years ago and it wasn't nearly as scary as I remembered. It think maybe the special effects haven't aged as well, or maybe we're just used to scarier stuff now. It probably makes a difference if you watch it on a big screen in the dark verses on your phone or something.

Anyway, that's my throwback pick for Halloween this year.

My grade: A

No comments: