Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Memories of Walmart

Nine years ago today was my last day at Walmart in Pine City, concluding a four-year foray into the retail industry. 

I had started as a part-time, seasonal electronics associate, having planned to work there for a few months to make ends meet until I found another youth ministry position. As the job search stretched on, I moved from seasonal to regular associate and then became a department manager in electronics - one of my favorite roles at Walmart. From there I became a Zone Manager Supervisor over electronics, the Connection Center (phones), and toys. After that I became a salaried member of management, serving for two years as an Assistant Manager. At the time I was assigned to oversee the front end and the back room.

I had a great four years at the Pine City Walmart and worked with some terrific people. I still miss some parts of my various jobs there and the great people I worked with (and my associate's discount!), but I love what I am doing now. 

I realized that just because I enjoyed and was good at something, that didn't mean I was called to do that the rest of my working life. But it wasn't so much that my calling to be a minister had changed as much as the context for ministry. According to the Bible, all believers are ministers. We're all called to live out our faith - loving and serving those around us and inviting people to get to know Jesus - in whatever job we have.

No comments: