Saturday, November 10, 2007

"Anything Goes" at Pine City

Rosalie and I had a wonderful time at the Pine City High School production of Cole Porter's Anything Goes last night. The students really did a great job and seemed to really enjoy the production. Senior Sam Seuntjens was outstanding in one of the lead roles. Director Bradley Mariska mentioned her in an article in the Pine City Pioneer:

"I am really proud of the entire cast, but I think people will especially be blown away by Sam Seuntjens' performance as Reno Sweeney," Mariska said. "This is such a hard role (made famous on Broadway by Ethel Merman), yet she makes it look easy.”

Very true! I don’t know Sam personally, but, wow! What talent, and great stage presence!

Journey North’s students were no slouches, either! Karissa Lange also did a fabulous job in the role of Erma! I didn’t even realize that she was in the musical and I was thrilled to see her great acting abilities. Franklin Foster came back from his appendectomy earlier this week to pull of a great performance as a part of the sailor quartet. I didn’t see Kellen Montague as he was working sound, but I assume he did a good job as I could hear everything – which is not always the case in many student productions I have attended in the past.

The only drawback to the evening – the extremely uncomfortable seats in the aging and dilapidated auditorium. It’s really a shame that our students have to put up with such a substandard venue. The bright side – we will be voting on two referendum items on December 18 which will help fund additional classrooms, a new library and gymnasium at the Elementary School and an additional gymnasium and performing arts auditorium at the High School! If you live in the Pine City school district, I urge you to vote and encourage everyone you know to vote! These items are really needed! As someone with kids in the schools plus as a substitute teacher and youth pastor I can tell you firsthand that these are huge needs!

Back to the play: Congratulations to all the students who did such a great job and all the parents and staff who supported it. You guys rocked!

Next weekend: Rush City’s musical featuring youth group student Andrew Behrendt!