Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Oh, The Drama!

We had another great time gathering together on Sunday morning before Christmas - our Christmas Eve Eve service! The highlight - for me, anyway - was being able to perform in a sketch we did called "It's a Wonderful Fruitcake". I played a UPS driver while Darrin and Karissa Lange played father and daughter (not too big a stretch!) and Julie Adams played the mom. It was a great time, even though we skipped a little bit during the first service. By the second service we nailed it! (Just a note to first service attenders - you know you're guinea pigs for a lot of stuff, right?! If you value excellence highly you will likely want to attend second more often. First service is great for those who are more casual and flexible with imperfections. Fortunately that describes most if not all of the people at JNC!)

It was great to be acting again. I was in many drama productions in college (from Twelfth Night where I had four lines - that I still remember, to musicals like Shenandoah, to major roles in The Inspector General and The Night of January 16th. I have been in numerous sketches in church in the subsequent years, but never really got over the acting bug. I have often thought that had I not become a youth pastor I would have enjoyed acting.

Thanks to those that performed, those that endured the performance, and those that helped get everything set up. Thanks to Jeanne Johnson and her son who loaned me the UPS jacket for a costume!

And just so everyone knows - I do not like fruitcake in real life! That's called "acting", my friends. (Actually, that's called Apple Fritter Bread from Wal-Mart's bakery - yum!) So don't bother giving me any fruitcake - it'll just get re-gifted!