Monday, August 6, 2007

The Goat Has Left the Building

For those in ministry who get to teach or preach, you will sympathize with the desire to emulate a great teacher or awesome message. Those of us in youth ministry are always looking for creative ways to communicate, as well. This Christianity Today/Preaching Today article shows some the the challenges you may face. It's hysterical - mostly because I could see myself trying something like it... but not anymore. Here's a clip from John Beukema's The Day I Tried to Preach Like Rob Bell:
It all began at the Willow Creek Conference on Preaching. Rob Bell gave a soul-stirring message on Leviticus 16. The talk described the Day of Atonement, the scapegoat, and the work of the high priest. Rob brought out a priest and goat, and both were live. He dramatized Jesus' ministry as the ultimate scapegoat and as our great High Priest who sat down when the work was done. The big idea was, "The goat has left the building." The sermon ended with the priest slowly walking to a chair and sitting, after which the audience erupted into cheers, high fives, applause, and a little celebratory dancing. Never before had I desired to borrow from another speaker, but on that day I thought, I want to preach that sermon.

In January, I decided it would make a great Easter message. I mentioned it to the staff and they seemed supportive. Then I asked a group of our leaders if I could spend money on a goat. They feigned nonchalance and told me to get whatever I wanted.

In February, I figured I should get to work. Amazingly, there were several places in the Chicago area advertising animal rentals. I started composing an e-mail. In the subject line I wrote, "Pastor seeking goat." That sounded like a bad personals ad. Next I tried "Goat wanted," but that seemed open to improper interpretation. In the end I went with "Animal rental inquiry," and sent the detailed request out to three places...

Click Here for the rest of the article.

No comments: