Saturday, August 4, 2007

Boxes o' Books

I've been busy this week starting to pack up my office at PCEFC. I'm one of those that takes a while because I sort through everything I have. Part of what I've been doing is deciding which books I need access to regularly, which can go into storage until I have a new office somewhere, and which I can let go of.

I have whittled down my library a bit already (from 6 bookcases to 5 and a half) and keep trying to make the tough call on which I can let go of. I finally threw out many of my seminary class notes that have been gathering dust for ages. Books that I haven't opened in the last 15 years since I graduated from seminary I can be fairly assured that I won't open again in the near future. Many are books I purchased for my sem classes with the prices still on them! Wow are some expensive. I wish I had sold them back to the sem after I graduated, but I thought, 'Hey, I'll use them again.'

Not so much.

Many were good, some were less than helpful, and some I'll keep for reference or because I may yet find a use for them. I found out that the Bethel Seminary (my alma mater) library will take my ministry books for me, use what they may need, and donate the rest on to seminaries and Bible schools in other countries that might not be able to afford to purchase reference materials. How cool is that!

The only thing that's slowing me down now is lack of boxes. When we lived in Northfield I would make a daily morning trek over to the local Cub Foods for produce boxes which were perfect, but it's a bit further here to the local Cub and neither Wal-Mart nor Nelson's Grocery seem to have many boxes when I stop by. So if you live near me and have some boxes or sources for boxes please let me know! Thanks.

No comments: