Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Media Tracking for the Year


I've often wished that I had recorded every time I finished a book or a movie in my life. It would be fascinating to see the list. And based on the graphic I found above, I'm not the first to have this idea.

A few years ago I started doing something like that with movies that I watched and the date I saw them if I knew what it was. I would then make a little notation on the movie - maybe what it was about - and give it a grade. Here's a very few I ran across in my file: 

1 Mile to You B (Netflix) 7/4/19
A Quiet Place A
A Quiet Place 2 A 6/11/21
A Week Away C (Netflix) 4/17/21
Aquaman C
ARQ B- (Netflix) 11/19/16 time loop
Parallel (Amazon) 6/5/21. B - Like an episode of Black Mirror with a nice Twilight Zone twist at the end. Plot a bit predictable but decent ride.
            ...and so on

I started this because with the plethora of movies available on streaming services I would sometimes have trouble remembering what I had watched. Then I'd start a movie and go, "Hey, this seems familiar..." This would be super helpful to have also for them it's been a number of years since you've seen the movie and you can't remember if it might be worth watching again. The movie ARQ listed above I have no recollection of, but with my B- grade I am pretty sure I won't be watching it again. (I also look at Aquaman and think I might have been generous with my C grade, but that's a discussion for another time.)

I think this would be just as interesting for books that I've read. I thought about going through and making a list, but I've literally read thousands of books in my life and there's no way I could ever complete the list. And forget about TV shows! That list would be overwhelming and, potentially, depressing. (But maybe a list of series?)

I think this would be a good project throughout each year from now on - just list when you've seen a movie and read a book or finished a TV series. Then you could go back at the end of the year and review. Of course, with my blog, I pretty much report on every major movie or book I've seen, so there's that. But a summary list would be helpful as well. 

Stay tuned and at the end of the year I'll post mine here. If you have one of your own you to share, you can post in the comments.

No comments: