Friday, March 20, 2020

So that's the reason!

I heard a great definition of anxiety today quoted by Pastor John Mark Comer: "Anxiety is imaging the future without Jesus Christ in it." Wow. How powerful.

I was sharing with the youth group on Wednesday night one of my favorite passages from Philippians (4:6-7) where Paul encourages (commands?) us: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." And for the first time I recall I noticed the four words at the end of the verse preceding it (verse 5): "The Lord is near." and the thought struck me, "So that's why we aren't supposed to be anxious!"

For those who are experiencing heightened levels of anxiety or know those who are, take comfort in that reminder: The Lord is near. For those of us who walk with Jesus we can live with that assurance and the peace - the shalom - of God that will guard our hearts and minds!

No comments: