Saturday, July 29, 2017

Devotions Done Right

I'm not a big fan of most devotionals. I suppose it's because the vast majority I've seen are simplistic or trite and misuse scripture by taking it out of context. It's really hard to take a few verses of Scripture, explain them and make application in a few paragraphs. (Some pastors struggle to do it in a 30 minute sermon!) That's why I was excited to come across a great daily devotional from the Psalms by Tim Keller and his wife, Kathy.

If you know anything about Tim Keller you will know that he has great respect for God's Word and a wonderful pastoral heart combined with a razor-sharp intellect. This all shows up in this great book. You read a few verses from a Psalm and then the commentary on them and end with a prayer.

This is a wonderful book that I have been using for just a couple of weeks now but fully intend to use for the next year. It's one you could come back to time and time again (although I think they are coming out with one on Proverbs later this year. Have to put that on my list after this one's done).

Do you have a devotional you really enjoy? Share in the comments below.

No comments: